b. Paris, France, 1925 – d. Ury, France, 10 April 2019
Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne both believed that artwork could serve
a purpose. Their entire career was focused on trying to restore a sense of familiarity, even a potential practicality to the medium of sculpture, which
for too long had been placed on a literal and metaphorical pedestal. Their sculptures could be admired from afar, but they could also be touched, opened, sat on, lain on, eaten on, worn around one’s neck… Nature, and in particular the animal kingdom, offered them a wealth of universally recognisable shapes and forms to work with. Sheep, monkeys, rhinoceroses, donkeys, camels, toads, hippopotamuses, etc. formed an artistic menagerie which Les Lalanne, with their characteristic humour and playfulness, then submitted to the constraints of the decorative arts.
After an initial exhibition at Galerie J in Paris in 1964, Les Lalanne’s sculptures were
displayed at Alexandre Iolas’ galleries in Paris, New York, Milan, Geneva, and Athens
from 1965 to 1979. Their affiliation with the Galerie Mitterrand began in the early 1990s. A retrospective on their career was held in 2010 at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris.
Download artist's biography
CLAUDE LALANNE - NOUVELLE PRÉSENTATION DES COLLECTIONS - MUSÉE YVES SAINT LAURENT - PARIS, FRANCE
DESIGN MIAMI / BASEL 2018