b. Agen, France, 28 August 1927 – d. Ury, France, 7 December 2008
Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne both believed that artwork could serve a purpose. Their entire career was focused on trying to restore a sense of familiarity, even a potential practicality to the medium of sculpture, which for too long had been placed on a literal and metaphorical pedestal. Their sculptures could be admired from afar, but they could also be touched, opened, sat on, lain on, eaten on, worn around one’s neck… Nature, and in particular the animal kingdom, offered them a wealth of universally recognisable shapes and forms to work with. Sheep, monkeys, rhinoceroses, donkeys, camels, toads, hippopotamuses, etc. formed an artistic menagerie which Les Lalanne, with their characteristic humour and playfulness, then submitted to the constraints of the decorative arts.
After an initial exhibition at Galerie J in Paris in 1964, Les Lalanne’s sculptures were displayed at Alexandre Iolas’ galleries in Paris, New York, Milan, Geneva, and Athens from 1965 to 1979. Their affiliation with the Galerie Mitterrand began in the early 1990s. A retrospective on their career was held in 2010 at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris.
Download artist's biography
FRANÇOIS-XAVIER LALANNE - LA FOLLE HISTOIRE DU DESIGN, MUSEE DES ARTS DECORATIFS - PARIS, FRANCE
FRANÇOIS-XAVIER LALANNE - FIAC 2018 HORS LES MURS - JARDIN DES TUILERIES - PARIS